Happy New Year 2022! The year is halfway over! The first semester ends this Friday, January 28th and grades will be posted by Thursday, February 3rd. Please review in Powerschool how your child is progressing and contact your child’s guidance counselor or individual teachers if you have any questions.
As the new year emerges we have some important information to share with you.
Course Selection Process- On Thursday, January 27, 2022, at 7:00 pm the Guidance Counselors will be kicking off the Course Selection Process by holding a special meeting for Juniors and their parents on the college application process. We strongly encourage all Juniors and their parents to attend this important meeting to learn all about how to help your child on this journey.
• Course Selection Days – On February, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, we will meet with all 9th-11th graders in grade-level meetings where Department Coordinators will explain the various pathways and options for courses over the next year.
• Course Catalog – Our 22-23 Course Catalog is available for you and your child to read through and decide on courses for next year. We encourage every child to reflect carefully on which courses they would like to take and to fill their schedule with a challenging course load. The Course Catalog will be highlighted on the PVHS Website http://pvcsd.org/index.php/hs/ on the right-hand side of the page. You can also research information on the IB program and explore the many options the IB program offers to our students. In February, we will hold an IB Information Night for all 9th and 10th-grade parents. More information will follow in the weeks ahead.
Lockdown Drill- We are grateful for the Putnam County Sheriff’s Department who has organized a lockdown drill for this coming Tuesday, January 25th. There will be a number of police departments on campus that day. We will have New York State Troopers and some Yorktown Police working in collaboration with the Putnam County Deputies to conduct the lockdown drill. This will help all local law enforcement become familiar with our building and protocols.
Library Books- As a follow-up to Dr. Luft’s message, parents who would like to place a restriction on library books that are available to their children, please email our librarian, Mrs. DeMaine at firstname.lastname@example.org. Mrs. DeMaine will note your name and contact you if your child requests to take out a library book. As always, Mrs. DeMaine is a wealth of knowledge and information and can help your child locate topics of interest, resources reflecting various viewpoints and explain how to conduct valuable research.
This has been a difficult few years for everyone. But, our school days are much brighter with all the students in the building. Your children are a pleasure to be around and bring the entire staff joy, laughter, and a sense of purpose each day.
Stay warm and healthy during these cold winter days.
As Dr. Luft sent in last week’s email, due to the rise in COVID cases, the district will be offering remote learning over the next two weeks. This option will be available through January 20 and is a short-term solution to help us get through this Covid surge. Remote access will not be a long-term option for students. Additionally, students who participate in remote access cannot participate in extracurricular activities or Athletics when they are remote learning and physically not in the building. Remote learning is offered at this time for the following reasons:
• Students presenting symptoms related to COVID-19
• Students awaiting test results
• Students with household contacts who have tested positive or are symptomatic
• Students who were close contacts to an individual who tested positive for COVID-19
• Students who are at “high risk” due to underlying health concerns
• Students with family members who are at “high risk” of health complications associated with COVID-19
We do not allow students to self-quarantine.
If your child needs to access remote learning for the next two weeks based on the reasons given, we MUST HAVE communication (email, note, etc.) from a parent/guardian stating the request with a reason. At this point, only students who meet the criteria above with parent notification will be allowed on Google Meets for Remote Access.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thank you for your cooperation during this challenging time period.
The PVCSD, in partnership with our families and community, will ensure that all students are engaged in a challenging, student-focused educational program, understand and assume their responsibility for life-long learning, work to achieve their personal best and become productive citizens in a diverse global society.
146 Peekskill Hollow Road, Putnam Valley, NY 10579