Dear Parents/Guardians and Students,
Welcome to a new school year! Your PowerSchool account will be available for you to view your new class schedule on Friday, August 24th at 11:00 a.m. A few simple clicks on our website will give you access to everything you need to know about the opening of the 2018-2019 school year.
The first day of the upcoming school year is Wednesday, September 5, 2018. School will be in session daily from 7:50 a.m. until 2:40 p.m. Our busses will begin releasing students into the building starting at 7:35 a.m. If you are dropping off your student as opposed to utilizing bus transportation, please use the crosswalk area as the drop off point. This is a monitored area where students can safely cross the driveway and avoid moving bus traffic. Doors will open at 7:25 a.m. for early student drop-off. Any student who arrives at that time will be escorted to the Dining Hall where breakfast will be available for purchase.
Our incoming 5th graders along with their parents and guardians will be participating in our new student orientation from 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. on Thursday, August 30th in the Middle School gymnasium. This event also includes all new transfer students of any grade level to our district. As a reminder, 5th graders have their lockers in their classrooms. They may bring in supplies to be left in their locker on the 30th. Please note that this is not a student drop-off event.
Additionally, an orientation and locker opening for our 6th graders will be on Thursday, August 30th from 12:00 – 1:00 p.m. Please note that this is not a student drop-off event and there is a general meeting involved in the Middle School gymnasium. Once your child feels comfortable with their locker and their schedule, you may leave. The goal is to allow students to meet their teachers and become familiar with the newness of their locker and schedule.
In order to help with opening your locker we have produced a short video. Please go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap8DjjLCaSQ&sns=em
You will be able to access this video on your mobile device when you come in for your practice session.
Please take a moment to read the information below…many of your questions may be answered.
1) Students who selected Band and Chorus: placement in Band and Chorus will be arranged in September through the Music Department. Only Band will appear on your schedule. If you have questions, please email your music teacher. email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com
2) If you wish to change your music selection, please send a note to school and bring it to the Main Office on the first day. Please allow a few days for your request to be processed.
3) If you have questions regarding logging on to PowerSchool please visit the site https://sites.google.com/pvcsd.org/pvcsd-parent. If you still have questions, please email Mrs. Sherwood at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4) Every grade has an I/E period. During this time students will receive additional academic support or enrichment services. Students who receive AIS services will have “Literacy Lab” or “Math Lab” during this time.
5) For any other questions regarding your schedule, please email our Guidance Counselor, Mrs. Castrillon, at email@example.com.
Now let’s get to your student information:
1) First, go to the Putnam Valley Central School District website at http://www.pvcsd.org. Click on the Middle School tab at the top of the page. Please click on the Student/Parent Resources tab and then the grade level that your student will be entering. We need you to read the Code of Conduct, Student Handbook and the Laptop and Mobile Device Agreement. Please fill out and electronically submit the Middle School Student Agreement Permission Form. For your convenience, documents are also linked below:
Code of Conduct:
Laptop and Mobile Device Agreement:
Middle School Student Agreement Permission Form:
We will not issue a laptop unless this form is completed in full and returned electronically. If you are unable to complete an electronic form, we will provide you with a hard copy the first week of school.
2) The link to PowerSchool Parent Access will provide you with your child’s class schedule as well as transportation information. Please enter your account username and password. For directions to create an account please click on the following: https://sites.google.com/pvcsd.org/pvcsd-parent The directions provided in this link will show you how to connect your children to the PowerSchool account login.
3) Student PowerSchool login information has changed for the 2018-2019 school year. Please click on the following link: https://sites.google.com/pvcsd.org/pvcsd-parent/powerschool/student-infomation Each student will be given their own PowerSchool login.
Along the left side you will see a number of icons. We ask that you focus on four tabs that will have all the information you need.
Grades & Attendance: This tab provides the area where you will see the student’s grades and attendance throughout the year. You will also see your locker number and locker combination here.
Please be advised that bus routes and times may have changed with our High School being on a later start time. Please check this information carefully. Transportation information is located under the tab that looks like a small bus. This will provide you with your bus number and any additional transportation needs. The link to the bus schedule is on top of this information.
The Demographic Change tab needs to be reviewed and updated. The center column of this form is the information we currently have on file. If changes need to be made, please enter the new information in the right hand column. Once all changes have been made, please click on the “submit” button located in the lower right hand corner of the page. We will then confirm and update your Demographic Information. We need this information to be current and correct. We use this information in case of an emergency.
My Schedule: This tab will provide a printable copy of your child’s schedule. Please note, our schedules will now run on a four-day rotation cycle. A, B, C, D days will appear on your schedule.
Once you finish, please click on the Logout tab in the upper right hand corner. Please DO NOT share your username and password with anyone.
As the year progresses we will continue to provide you with information in a paperless fashion. We will provide step-by-step directions and reminders as to how and when to access this information.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact the Main Office.
Lastly, please be sure to mark your calendars for our back to School Night for 5th and 6th graders on September 24th from 6:30 – 9:00 p.m., and 7th and 8th graders on September 25th from 6:30 – 9:00 p.m.
As summer vacation comes to a close, we urge you to spend time with family and friends. We look forward to seeing you on September 5th.
Travis W. McCarty